Friday, September 17, 2010

Yes, I am in fact one evil sumabitch

Amusing exchanges with supervisees:

One of the more enjoyable parts of my job is the level of shared respect and hard-won comity between me and my supervisees especially when they're out there in the trenches as teachers. It's a hard job, not much respected, and poorly recompensed compared to, I dunno, Halliburton monster or NCLB bureaucrat...but we have a lot of laughs and some funny exchanges:

Herewith one such:

DrConga:

BTW, I’m teaching a Friday morning class 8-11AM. Since the first class 2 out of 14 students have shown up on time. In fact, the students are so late that they show up by 8:30. I will be implementing my right to drop students for the first time ever. I don’t even know how to do it, but I’m going to do it. This is ridiculous.

DrCoyote:

Yeah. That is a bear. Suggestion? Give them 15 minutes; give the 2 who are on time extra credit, leave a note on the door saying "all those who were tardy for this class are being marked with a zero", and LEAVE. Keep doing that until they show up on time.

DrConga:

Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I have to be there for what I’m getting paid for. You seem to think I’m an actual educator. They expect me to be there for the time I’m paid. So, I’m thinking I will implement either 1. actually withdraw students from my class (a pain in the ass for me) or 2. give the “extra credit” quizzes you so mention and drop grades for absences. I’ve never had to deal with this before, it sucks that I even have to think about this. I’m currently leaning for option 1 because that means I don’t have to deal with them any more. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the effort. At any rate, I’m not making these decisions because I feel I want to get at somebody. I’m doing this because it’s detrimental to the very few students that are doing the right thing and it keeps me from actually teaching. I can’t believe how much time has been wasted in the past few weeks because of this. It blows my mind.

Dr Coyote:

I understand. Well, you could have a graduated set of penalties:

1) next meeting, give a 1-question "pop quiz" to the ones who are there promptly. Give them extra credit. Tell the tardy ones there will be pop quizzes each class, at 8am, from now on.
2) If they continue to be tardy, mark the late ones absent.
3) If they still continue, use my original suggestion, and leave a sign on the door that says "now 8:20am. You are receiving no credit, due to your tardiness. I am available to discuss this, NOW, at [office][coffeeshop][student lounge]" etc.
4) drop 'em. I assume the college would prefer this to be last-ditch option, also.

You could also just tell the prompt ones, at 8am straight up "next class meeting is a [x alternate site]." Don't mention again. When the tardy ones complain that they "didn't know where class was meeting," tell them "the announcement was made; class met; you were marked absent."

DrConga:

You’re one evil sumabich. I like it. ;)

DrCoyote:

As I tell the young'uns in the freshman class: "Don't even think about cheating. I'm a worse criminal than you can ever imagine."

No comments: