Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Another reason not to buy e-books

Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle

Now, there is a followup to this: Amazon apologized profusely, having realized that they'd improperly made the book available in the first place, and offered to reinstate a different edition of the deleted 1984. But the real money quote?

“It illustrates how few rights you have when you buy an e-book from Amazon,” said Bruce Schneier, chief security technology officer for British Telecom and an expert on computer security and commerce. “As a Kindle owner, I’m frustrated. I can’t lend people books and I can’t sell books that I’ve already read, and now it turns out that I can’t even count on still having my books tomorrow.”
That's the crux of the biscuit. They've found one more way to monetize, and keep monetizing, something that formerly was a personal, often cherished purchase. I buy used books, precisely because I know that they've moved on from someone else and that, like a musical instrument, they're going to outlive me, and move on to yet another person.

That's what's supposed to happen.

No comments: