Thursday, June 05, 2008

Revolt of the generals

I really don't like the looks of this at all:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The top military and civilian leaders of the U.S. Air Force will be fired Thursday after a critical report regarding the mistaken transport of nuclear-tipped missiles, military sources said.
It's being read as a reaction to the criminal negligence at Walter Reed and elsewhere in the Veterans' Administration, and the "erroneous" cross-country flight of a B-52 with live nukes aboard. But I think there's another possibility, and I don't like it at all. One scenario for Bush's lame-duck "trash the place before I leave" assault on Iran--at Israel's yammering insistence--has been an airborne strike on infrastructure. And various connected reporters have written that high-level military personnel had signaled they would resign rather than participate in such an asinine bit off unprovoked war-mongering.

I'm hoping these resignations are not driven by that scenario. But I'm afraid they might be. Hope I'm wrong.

[2:53pm CST ETA: Uh-oh. Right-wing nutjobs are agreeing.]

No comments: