So now Benedict wants a "do-over" on the impact of the Crusades, seeking to market them as "wars fought with the “noble aim” of regaining the Holy Land for Christianity." John Paul may not have been an actual saint but at least he "asked pardon" for the human suffering that Westerners imposed on the Middle East during the Crusades. Not our Benedict the Nazi collaborator, though.
Herr Benedict, here's just a short-list to refresh your memory:
- Massacre and cannibalization of inhabitants by Crusaders at Ma'aarat al Numan, 1098.
- Massacre by Crusaders of the Jews at York, 1190.
- Richard the Lionheart's massacre of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, 1191.
- Sack of Eastern European Jewish ghettos by Crusaders "just passing through," 1196.
- Massacre incited by Popes and carried out against the Cathar dissenters at Beziers, 1209.
- Massacre by Crusaders during Albigensian Crusade at Montsegur, 1243.
The above is only a fragment. Benedict is a liar--about history, as well as his own Nazi past--and, like many other fascists, is attempting to "erase" history in order to consolidate power.
I look forward to his demise.