Tuesday, November 27, 2007

FZ was my hero

Quick hit: Someone sent me a couple of mp3's of the '78 Saarbrucken concert and it just kicks ass. I have a soft spot for the '88 band (the "last tour" band that gave us Broadway the Hard Way, The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, and Make a Jazz Noise Here), the uber-funky '72 band with Chester Thompson (d), George Duke (k), Napoleon Murphy Brock (s/fl), and Ruth Underwood (perc), the lunacy and humor of the '78 Live in New York band with the Brecker Brothers and Terry Bozzio (d) including Terry's brilliant comedy turn as "Da Devil" on Titties 'n' Beer (best exchange: FZ "Devil, I'm only interested in two things; see if you can guess what they are"; TB "Uhh...I would think...uh...Stravinsky...and, uh..."), but Jeezus this '78 Saarbrucken band (FZ, Ike Willis, Denny Walley (g), Peter Wolf, Tommy Mars (k), Arthur Barrow (b), Vinnie Colaiuta (d), Ed Mann (perc) could play!

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=23364&rendTypeId=4

Boy do I miss Frank. Boy do I love his music.
----------------
Now playing: Zappa - 09 09 09. Bobby Brown

No comments: